We always recommend regular water heater maintenance for all homeowners in the Avon, OH area. Of all the appliances in your home, water heaters are the most vulnerable to neglect, since they do their jobs quietly and are usually tucked away in little-visited corners of the house. Annual maintenance can help you get a handle on any problems before they get out of control, and you can even take steps yourself to help out the process.
Take draining your water heater for example. Over time, sediment can build up in the bottom of the tank, forming a barrier between the water and the heat. Over time, that can seriously damage the tank, and in the interim, it means your system will have to use more energy to do its job (raising your bills in the process). Luckily, draining and refilling the tank involves just a few easy steps.
- Turn off the water supply and the gas or fuel supply.
- Attach one end of a hose to the drain valve at the bottom of the tank, and the other end to a drain line out of your home. (A large receptacle, big enough to hold all the water in the tank, will do in a pinch.)
- Open the drain valve, then open the pressure release valve at the top of the tank. This will start the water flowing.
- Wait for the water to drain out of the tank completely.
- Turn on the water flowing into the tank to rinse out any last bits of sediment.
- Seal the drain valve and the pressure valve and allow the tank to fill back up with water.
- Turn on the fuel supply, and clean up any water that might have spilled.
Call Westland Heating and Air to schedule a service session for your water heater today!